Articles / White Papers / Reports
Below are links to documents/reports that have been prepared by and for CIRT that have been presented at our conferences.
- 12/05/13 - Understanding the Fiscal Numbers/Challenges
- 11/19/13 - National Business Ethics Survey® of the U.S. Construction Industry - the most recent study from the Ethics Resource Center
- 8/08/13 - Private and Public Sectors Have Role in Fixing Infrastructure
- 7/16/13 - The Construction Labor Market Analyzer® (CLMA®) Spring 2013 20/20 Foresight Report
2/04/13 – U.S. Experiencing Elevated Levels of Economic Uncertainty Data for 2012 remained elevated, reaching a 193.69 reading in December, driven in great part by the “fiscal cliff” policy debate and the looming debt ceiling. At the beginning of 2013, the index went down reflecting the compromise on the fiscal cliff legislation and the decision to push-off until May the debt ceiling issue – as a result, the daily tracking index in February 2013 is showing less “uncertainty” with a reading of around 160.
- 1/24/13 – ATRA 2013 State Judicial Reform Summary
- 10/31/12 – Incident & Injury Free: An Alternative to Improving Safety & Business Results 9/17/12 - Enforcement Trends and Implications for the Construction Industry. This abstract highlights points that federal construction contractors need to be aware of when it comes to the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compiance Programs (OFCCP).
- 7/20/12 - Compliance Brief: of ACA Ruling on Employer Health Plans. The media continues to report the broader political and constitutional issues related to the Supreme Court's De cision on the ACA, but very little has been specifically written about the effect the decision has had on employer sponsored plans. In this Compliance Brief, we focus on issues facing all employers, large and small. We will continue to keep you informed as more detailed information becomes available.
- "When Are Things Going To Turn Around?" Mark Casso, president of the Construction Industry Round Table. To some extent the construction and the design end of the spending has lost its high ground; unfortunately, it has been tarred and feathered with some of the bridges to nowhere, and begun to be looked at as boondoggle spending rather than real return on investment,” declares Mark Casso, president of CIRT. However, it’s not all bad news; listen to Casso as he explains where he thinks the industry is headed. LISTEN NOW
Governing & Campaigning In A De-Leveraging Environment (presented by Dan Clifton, Strategas Research Group at CIRT's 2012 Spring Meeting)
- Navigating Pay-to-Play Laws: Could They Destroy Your Firm’s Good Name? (presented by Larry Norton & Jim Kahl Womble Carlyle’s Political Law Practice Group at CIRT's 2012 Spring Meeting)
- Prospects for Regulatory Reform (presented by Susan E. Dudley, Director, GW Regulatory Studies Center; Research Professor, Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration at CIRT's 2012 Spring Meeting)
- Transportation Infrastructure Outlook (presented by Ed McSpedon, HNTB Corporation at CIRT's 2012 Spring Meeting)
- TISP Regional Disaster/Action Plan Guide Available (February 2012)
Report from the Congressional Budget Office, "Using Public-Private Partnerships to Carry-Out Highway Projects" (January 2012)
"Where is the Construction Industry Headed?"
Mark Casso, president of the Construction Industry Round Table, believes that the expansion of government spending is creating a ticking time bomb of inflation and deficits that are unsustainable. This will influence the market in ways outside of the industry’s control, yet will impact the strength and speed of the recovery from the current recession. Listen further to Casso’s comments on where the construction industry is headed.
- "How CEOs View the Labor Shortage?" Mark Casso provides insight into how leading CEO's in the construction view the shortage in the industry. Topics include immigration and other critical aspects of the problem. Listen how Mark, President of the Construction Industry Round Table (CIRT), explains how he and membership of leading CEO address these issues. LISTEN NOW
- CIRT Testifies Before House Subcommittee on Excessive Regulations and their Negative Impact on Industry Jobs (March 16, 2011)
- The Tort Reform Record is published each July and December to record the accomplishments of the latest legislative year. It includes a two-page, state-by-state summary of the ATRA-supported reforms enacted by the states since 1986. (provided by the American Tort Reform Association, Dec. 20, 2010)
- Economy Downing an Ocean of Liquidity, Going for the Inflation High (provided by Arthur Laffer, Dec. 16, 2010)
- Final Report from the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform (12/01/10)
- 2010 Election Results - Insights on the Election (provided by Arthur Laffer, Nov. 24, 2010)
- A Growth Agenda for the New Congress (OpEd by Arthur Laffer, WSJ, Nov. 12, 2010)
- Mid-Term Election Outlook & 2011 Policy Implications (presented by Dan Clifton, Strategas Group at CIRT's Fall Conference, Oct. 2010)
- External Threats to the Private Sector (presented by Mark Casso, President, CIRT at CIRT's Fall Conference, Oct. 2010)
- BLUEPRINT FOR SUCCESS: Infrastructure As The Engine For Jobs, Economic Expansion, And Global Competitiveness (a white paper prepared by Mark Casso, President, CIRT - Summer 2010)
- Govt. Spending and Its Effect on Construction Jobs (appeared in Construction Equipment Guide.com on 9/20/10 - CIRT President Mark Casso quoted)
- Restoring Once-Vibrant Economy Hinges On Repeal Of ObamaCare (provided by Mike Cosgrove as featured in IBD, Aug. 31, 2010)
- The Soak-the-Rich Catch 22 (Op-Ed by Arthur Laffer featured in the Wall Street Journal, Aug. 2, 2010)
- Weekly Commentary and Economic Chartbook Highlights (provided by Arthur Laffer featured in the Wall Street Journal, July 7, 2010)
- An Atrocious Policy Mix For A Global Economy (provided by Mike Cosgrove as featured in IBD, July 2, 2010)
- Madoff-Like Political Shenanigans Put U.S. Taxpayers In Harm's Way (provided by Mike Cosgrove as featured in IBD, June 10, 2010)
- General Barry McCaffrey discusses "disastrous" U.S. infrastructure on St. Louis radio station KMOX (May 2010; provided as a courtesy of HNTB Corp.)
- A CIRT Special Report: Strategy in the Eye of the Storm (Winter 2010; prepared by Briston Blair, FMI Corp.)
- Commodity vs. Value-Added Contractor Services: "Lost in Translation" (Fall 2009; prepared by Stan Schaffer and Jim Herschauer)
- The People Agenda: Top Strategic & Operational Challenges Facing the Architectural, Construction and Engineering Industries (Spring 2009; prepared by FPL Advisory Group)
- The Lean Project Delivery System: An Update (Fall 2008; prepared by Glenn Ballard, Lean Construction Institute)
- Lean in the Construction Industry: Three Connected Opportunities (Fall 2008, prepared by Glenn Ballard, Lean Construction Institute)
- Corporate Governance Outlook 2008 (Fall 2008; prepared by FPL Advisory Group)
- Vision 2020: A Look at the Design and Construction Community (Oct. 30, 2007; prepared by FMI for CIRT as part of its 20th Anniversary Conference.)
- Seduced by Success: How The Best Companies Survive the 9 Traps of Winning (Presented April, 2007 by Bob Herbold, former COO of Microsoft Corp.)
- Construction Market "Q&A" Analysis Heading into 2007 (Nov. 2006; prepared by Mark Casso, CIRT President)